Happy birthday, my love! Today you begin your 35th year and I am so thrilled to be celebrating with you!
Last night when you arrived home, Isla greeted you with, “Happy birthday, Daddy!” You looked at me and smiled. My cover was blown and you knew we had been practicing for today. That’s okay though. I want you to know that we adore you and are always thinking of you.
On May 27, 1980 the world became a better place because of you. Seriously, babe. Your kindness, integrity, compassion, humor, thoughtfulness, understanding, creativity, and loving heart have positively affected so many people all around the world. You inspire me to better myself simply by being you. Now I have the joy of watching you inspire our beautiful Isla. You are helping to shape her into such a wonderful little person. My heart melts every time I see her big blue eyes fixated on you. I can’t help but laugh as I watch her mimic your words and movements. She adores you, and I can not imagine a better person for her to wish to emulate.
Your 35th year is sure to be exciting! We are changing continents, homes, careers, and our way of life for the past 8 years. As we prepare to set off on our new adventure together, we are facing many uncertainties, but this I know will always be true: I love you with all of my heart.
So, in keeping with tradition and in honor of your 35th year, here are 35 things (some sentimental, some silly) that I love about you:
1. I love your beautiful heart
2. I love that you are a loving, patient, and playful Daddy to Isla
3. I love how you put peanut butter on everything… yes, even pancakes (gasp!)
And speaking of pancakes…
4. I love that you make the world’s best pancakes, with crispy edges
5. I love dreaming about the future with you
6. I love how you mimic the cats to make me laugh
7. I love that you are adventurous and eager to experience new places and cultures
8. I love how you snuggle me on your chest every night as we fall asleep
9. I love that you wheel my motorbike out for me each morning- those little acts of thoughtfulness mean so much!
10. I love and admire your patience… seriously. You are amazing!
11. I love how you curl your toes when you’re tired
12. I love when you laugh so hard that you can’t stop and tears form in your eyes
13. I love your ability to find ways to be artistic and creative in all you do
14. I love that you recognize my efforts and are so appreciative… thank you!
15. I love the look you give me after we put Isla to bed every night… filled with love, gratitude, and pride for our baby girl
16. I love how much you love your family, and how you treat my family as your own
17. I love that we share a mutual obsession for tacos
18. I love how you act with integrity and kindness… always
19. I love that you are meditative and look for ways to grow yourself
20. I love that you battle the craziness of RT Mart, so that I don’t have to
21. I love how you perch on the couch with a steaming cup of coffee and your sketch book
22. I love how you squeeze my hand and smile at me
23. I love that you make the world’s best smoothies
24. I love how you skip sand dollars at the beach
25. I love your cute buns… yeah, I went there.
26. I love your passion to learn
27. I love how handsome you look with that beard
28. I love that you are my biggest fan… pun intended
29. I love how you quote old movies and TV shows
30. I love that you proofread my writing (hope I didn’t make any mistakes!)
31. I love that you are loyal and caring
32. I love how you read aloud to me
33. I love that trusting smile you give me when I’ve convinced you to hop on board of one of my crazy ideas
34. I love when you give me foot rubs … and then end them with the funny clapping movements like they do in Thailand… you’re such a ham!
35. I love, love, love how greatly you love… me… Isla… our families… friends… others… the world around you.
Happy happy birthday, my sweet Isaac! I am so grateful to have you in my life and look forward to celebrating many, many more birthdays together!!!